World Water Day 2011: Water for Cities
- Every second, the urban population grows by 2 people.
- 95% of the urban population growth in the next decades will take place in the developing world.
- In Africa and Asia the urban population will double between 2000 and 2030.
- 827.6 million people live in informal settlements, often lacking adequate drinking water and sanitation facilities.
- 493 million people in cities share their sanitation facilities. In 1990 this number was 259 million.
- One in four city residents worldwide – 794 million in total – live without access to improved sanitation facilities.
- Someone living in an informal settlement in Nairobi pays 5 to 7 times more for a litre of water than an average North American citizen.
Join a World Water Day event.
Visit the website and learn more at: www.unwater.org/worldwaterday
“Like” the Facebook page.
Follow the Twitter.
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel.
Contribute to the Flickr.